Indiscrimination

As teachers, it's imperative for us to be able to recognize these barriers, not only in ourselves, but in those with whom we have stewardship, our students. They both perpetuate and are victims of these barriers. We see it every day in classroom and playground behavior, those who bully and ignore, and those who are bullied and isolated. Here is our chance to step in, engage and teach how both can bring down the barriers and improve relationships.

Indiscrimination is when one focuses on classes of individuals and fails to see uniqueness and individuality. This is the impetus of stereotyping. As I discussed in the story of the drunk Mexican, I had a frame-of-reference on Mexican males. I'm not entirely clear where it came from, but I'll admit media has a lot to do with it. Regardless, this barrier prohibited me to see this man as anything other than a drunk Mexican due to my inability to be aware of what made him unique. Had I really observed his gate while he walked, I would've noticed the pattern of his steps as opposed to the random stumbling I thought I saw.

Students concentrating on acceptance and popularity subvert their uniqueness. Those who don't mask what makes them different often become victim of this and other barriers. 

The cure to this is consideration, a thoughtful kindness, a critical look at all the non-verbal cues apart from assuming where they come from. This enables us to see non-verbal signals for what they are instead of attributing some kind of characterization to them.

For students, developing the ability to recognize uniqueness in their peers encourages disclosure, a positive influence in building relationships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment